Digital Fabric Design
Learn how to design your own fabric and surface designs.
- Next Start Date To Be Advised. Click Here to Register Your Interest in the Next Course
Become a fabric designer/textile designer and/or surface designer by learning the skills to create exciting digital pattern designs ready for printing on fabrics. Take your hand drawn designs, explore your creative passion and learn how to turn your drawings and designs into printed fabrics or other exciting printed products. Build your own range of textile designs which you can sell to other designers or create your own product ranges from your print designs!
The Digital Fabric Design course is designed to build your textile graphic design drawing and illustration skills using the best fabric design software - Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop. Create fabric and surface design prints from scratch in Illustrator and Photoshop, or import your hand drawn artworks and turn these into exciting textile or surface design prints. Prepare your designs for digital fabric printing and learn how you can start selling your design products straight away.
You will also learn how to professionally layout a textile design portfolio, using techniques to enhance the design impact and successfully communicate a design theme or story. Learn how you can start your own
This course is suitable for graduates of our textile design course or students interested in textile and surface design (from high school students to adult learners) through to industry professionals looking to upgrade their skills to enhance their career prospects.
What is surface design?
As a surface designer you can use your print designs to create anything from wallpaper, scarves, cushions, gift cards, wrapping paper, towels, clothing, handbags, shoes, floor rugs, bed linen and much more!
The Course Covers:
- Understanding repeating patterns
- Creating unique motifs
- Developing unique print designs
- Creating pattern repeats in Adobe Illustator and Photoshop
- Creating textile stories
- Developing colour schemes and creating colour ways
- Rendering fabrics
- Textile design portfolio layout and presentation
- Mixed media techniques to create visually stunning fabric designs
- Pattern and textile guidelines for print
- Navigating the workspace in Illustrator and Photoshop
- The difference between Illustrator and Photoshop
- The difference between Vector and Bitmap
- Using shortcuts to streamline work
- Understanding the various tools and how to use them
- Filling your sketch with colour and patterns
- Using layers to work effectively
- Reflecting your sketch
- Joining points
- Learn how to use the pen tool effectively
- Understanding file types and resolution
- Exporting your files for print or web
Students are required to have a laptop computer with Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator installed. A free trial version is available from Adobe, however the trial will not last for the entire duration of the course and a full licence will be required to complete the course. If you do not have access to a laptop with Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator installed, please contact us as we may have an available loan computer for use during class.
As the Adobe programs are quite complex, students are required to have basic to intermediate computer skills with the ability to easily navigate around their computer, websites, save files into folders and locate the saved files.
Course Duration:This course runs 1 day per week over 8 weeks on Saturday's.
- Next Start Date To Be Advised. Click Here to Register Your Interest in the Next Course
$1,500.00. A $200.00 minimum non-refundable deposit is required to enrol and secure a position in the course. The balance of the course fees is due on the course commencement date. (A 5 week direct-debit payment plan with ezypay is available, information will be sent to students with their confirmation of enrolment).
- Advanced Diploma of Fashion & Textiles Merchandising2nd Mar 15
- Advanced Diploma of Applied Fashion Design & Technology2nd Mar 15
- Spray Tanning7th Mar 15
- Diploma of Styling (Fashion, Image & Media)9th Mar 15
- Advanced Diploma of Interior Design9th Mar 15
- Diploma of Visual Arts (Textile, Print & Surface Design)9th Mar 15
- Diploma of Specialist Make-Up Services9th Mar 15
- Diploma of Photo Imaging9th Mar 15
- Diploma of Styling (Fashion, Image & Media) Part Time13th Mar 15
- Certificate IV in Photo Imaging13th Mar 15
- Certificate II in Applied Fashion Design & Technology13th Mar 15
- Certificate III in Design Fundamentals (Photography)13th Mar 15
- Certificate III in Design Fundamentals (Fashion Design)13th Mar 15
- Certificate III in Visual Arts (Textile, Print & Surface Design)27th Mar 15
- Spray Tanning29th Mar 15
- Beginner Sewing Lessons30th Mar 15
- Certificate II in Retail Make-Up and Skin Care10th Apr 15
- Massage10th Apr 15
- Diploma of Beauty Therapy Part Time10th Apr 15
- Certificate III in Interior Decoration10th Apr 15
- Facial Course11th Apr 15
- Diploma of Beauty Therapy Part Time11th Apr 15
- Fashion Retailing, Marketing & Merchandising8th May 15
- China Sourcing Trip8th May 15
- Body Electrics19th Jun 15
- Certificate III in Visual Arts (Painting and Drawing)7th Aug 15
- A successful theft of laundry!Friday December 05, 2014
We would love to congratulate all our Graduating Diploma of Styling Students for creating an amazing parade last night in Brisbane. The event was a huge success and showcased the talents of 29 Diploma of Styling students with each student presenting in their own style a particular trend of the season. Great work!!! Check out the […]
- Take a ride on some ART!Wednesday October 08, 2014
Our Photography Students get to take all sorts of photos of products for their portfolios as well as for industry clients, however, just as the photo is the creative expression of the photographer, this time they were taking photos of something that was in itself its own form of creative expression… A wooden bicycle! Silkwood Cycles […]
- Alice takes flight.Monday September 29, 2014
Past Student of AICD Alice finished her Diploma of Applied Fashion Design and Technology in 2009. Since leaving AICD Alice Vievers sprouted wings and is now running her handmade fashion label called Alice Nightingale. Her collections are beautiful and inspired by the silver screen and cater to all occasions. Keep an eye out for her new summer collection “Sweet to Me” […]
- The Beginnings of BegittaFriday September 26, 2014
Past Students of AICD Australian Institute of Creative Design is always proud of their past students, and we always love to hear what they are doing, and how far they have come. Begitta recently launched her new Boutique at the prestigious Marina Mirage and with her visually stunning collections the sky is the limit Adding […]
- Designer Fabric SaleTuesday January 07, 2014
15th Jan – 18th Jan 2014 If you are looking for Fabrics, then come visit our Gold Coast Campus between the 15th of January 2014 and the 18th of January 2014 for some great bargains in designer fabrics. We have a great range of fabrics available, from evening wear fabrics, silks, cottons, suedes, and so […]
- Photography ExhibitionThursday November 14, 2013
AICD’s Diploma of Photo Imaging students are holding an exhibition of their work at the Kallalu Gallery in Tweed Heads on the weekend of the 23rd and 24th of November. The exhibition will feature a diverse range of work from fashion, sports, landscapes, portraits and much more. The opening night event on the evening of […]
- 2013 Calico Bride WinnersMonday October 14, 2013
The noise of onlookers echoed as large garment bags were unzipped while we eagerly awaited the annual student design competition ‘Calico Brides’. We are very proud to announce that the tertiary section winner, runner up and highly commended prizes were all awarded to AICD students! The student winner for the best calico creation was awarded to […]
- Raw TalentMonday September 16, 2013
The latest RAW Artists showcase in Brisbane – ‘Translations‘ is featuring some talented up and coming designers and artists including two AICD fashion graduates to watch out for – Cynthia Coetzer and Rosa Carrington-Hogg (Infidel.the Label). RAW is a showcase of approximately 40 hand-selected artists in film, fashion, music, visual art, photography, performing arts, hair […]
- Fashion Friday @ KomuneThursday August 01, 2013
Don’t worry if you missed the Emerging Designers Showcase that was held last week in the Queen Street Mall, you have another opportunity to see the fantastic work of our graduating Advanced Diploma of Applied Fashion Design students this Friday night! The collections from AICD’s Gold Coast and Brisbane students will be paraded over the […]
- Fashion Students to Showcase Their Designs in the Brisbane MallFriday July 19, 2013
Next Friday night, AICD’s Advanced Diploma of Applied Fashion Design and Technology students will be showcasing some of their final collection designs in the Queen Street Mall from 6pm opposite the Myer Centre. Come along to check out their fantastic collections!