Digital Fabric Design
Learn how to design your own fabric and surface designs.
- Next Start Date To Be Advised. Click Here to Register Your Interest in the Next Course
Become a fabric designer/textile designer and/or surface designer by learning the skills to create exciting digital pattern designs ready for printing on fabrics. Take your hand drawn designs, explore your creative passion and learn how to turn your drawings and designs into printed fabrics or other exciting printed products. Build your own range of textile designs which you can sell to other designers or create your own product ranges from your print designs!
The Digital Fabric Design course is designed to build your textile graphic design drawing and illustration skills using the best fabric design software - Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop. Create fabric and surface design prints from scratch in Illustrator and Photoshop, or import your hand drawn artworks and turn these into exciting textile or surface design prints. Prepare your designs for digital fabric printing and learn how you can start selling your design products straight away.
You will also learn how to professionally layout a textile design portfolio, using techniques to enhance the design impact and successfully communicate a design theme or story. Learn how you can start your own
This course is suitable for graduates of our textile design course or students interested in textile and surface design (from high school students to adult learners) through to industry professionals looking to upgrade their skills to enhance their career prospects.
What is surface design?
As a surface designer you can use your print designs to create anything from wallpaper, scarves, cushions, gift cards, wrapping paper, towels, clothing, handbags, shoes, floor rugs, bed linen and much more!
The Course Covers:
- Understanding repeating patterns
- Creating unique motifs
- Developing unique print designs
- Creating pattern repeats in Adobe Illustator and Photoshop
- Creating textile stories
- Developing colour schemes and creating colour ways
- Rendering fabrics
- Textile design portfolio layout and presentation
- Mixed media techniques to create visually stunning fabric designs
- Pattern and textile guidelines for print
- Navigating the workspace in Illustrator and Photoshop
- The difference between Illustrator and Photoshop
- The difference between Vector and Bitmap
- Using shortcuts to streamline work
- Understanding the various tools and how to use them
- Filling your sketch with colour and patterns
- Using layers to work effectively
- Reflecting your sketch
- Joining points
- Learn how to use the pen tool effectively
- Understanding file types and resolution
- Exporting your files for print or web
Units of Competency
Students who successfully complete the course will be awarded a Statement of Attainment for the following unit, from the Nationally Recognised Visual Arts, Crafts and Design Training Package. Completing the assessment for this course is optional, however only those who successfully complete the assessment will be eligible to receive the statement of attainment for the unit listed below.
|UNIT CODE||UNIT NAME|
|CUVACD302A||Produce computer-aided drawings|
Students are required to have a laptop computer with Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator installed. A free trial version is available from Adobe, however the trial will not last for the entire duration of the course and a full licence will be required to complete the course. If you do not have access to a laptop with Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator installed, please contact us as we may have an available loan computer for use during class.
As the Adobe programs are quite complex, students are required to have basic to intermediate computer skills with the ability to easily navigate around their computer, websites, save files into folders and locate the saved files.
As this course assesses a national recognised unit of competency, students will be required to provide us with their Unique Student Identifier (USI) as required by the Australian Government. If you don't have a USI already, you can obtain a USI from here. Students will also be required to complete a form with required statistical data which must be reported to the government.
Course Duration:This course runs 1 day per week over 8 weeks on Saturday's.
- Next Start Date To Be Advised. Click Here to Register Your Interest in the Next Course
$1,500.00. A $200.00 minimum non-refundable deposit is required to enrol and secure a position in the course. The balance of the course fees is due on the course commencement date. (A 5 week direct-debit payment plan with ezypay is available, information will be sent to students with their confirmation of enrolment).
- Textile Design9th Oct 15
- Spray Tanning10th Oct 15
- Aromatherapy16th Oct 15
- Spray Tanning17th Oct 15
- Certificate II in Retail Make-Up and Skin Care17th Oct 15
- China Sourcing Trip23rd Oct 15
- Contemporary Painting24th Oct 15
- Eyelash Extensions25th Oct 15
- Make-Up for You25th Oct 15
- Textile Design14th Nov 15
- Eyelash Extensions22nd Nov 15
- Eyelash Extensions Advanced29th Nov 15
- Eyelash Extensions13th Dec 15
- Diploma of Specialist Make-Up Services Part Time29th Jan 16
- Diploma of Styling (Fashion, Image & Media) Part Time5th Feb 16
- Certificate II in Retail Make-Up and Skin Care5th Feb 16
- Fashion Retailing, Marketing & Merchandising5th Feb 16
- Certificate III in Beauty Services5th Feb 16
- Certificate III in Visual Arts (Textile, Print & Surface Design)5th Feb 16
- Certificate II in Applied Fashion Design & Technology5th Feb 16
- Certificate III in Interior Decoration5th Feb 16
- Certificate II in Retail Make-Up and Skin Care6th Feb 16
- Diploma of Beauty Therapy Part Time6th Feb 16
- Advanced Diploma of Fashion & Textiles Merchandising22nd Feb 16
- Advanced Diploma of Applied Fashion Design & Technology22nd Feb 16
- Diploma of Styling (Fashion, Image & Media)29th Feb 16
- Diploma of Photo Imaging29th Feb 16
- Diploma of Specialist Make-Up Services29th Feb 16
- Diploma of Visual Arts (Textile, Print & Surface Design)29th Feb 16
- Diploma of Beauty Therapy29th Feb 16
- Advanced Diploma of Interior Design29th Feb 16
- Certificate III in Design Fundamentals (Fashion Design)8th Apr 16
- Certificate III in Design Fundamentals (Photography)8th Apr 16
- Certificate II in Retail Make-Up and Skin Care15th Apr 16
- Certificate II in Retail Make-Up and Skin Care16th Apr 16
- Fashion Retailing, Marketing & Merchandising6th May 16
- Certificate II in Retail Make-Up and Skin Care15th Jul 16
- Pirates of the Caribbean — Students Secretly Working On Set!Tuesday September 01, 2015
Recently, some of our AICD Make-Up Diploma students had the extraordinary opportunity to work on set for the upcoming “Pirates of the Caribbean” movie. The team, led by AICD’s Danielle Fredericks, secretly worked behind the scenes on special effects make-up for various actors in the movie over six amazing weeks. Pictured: AICD students and staff […]
- Beauty Students focus on SkinWednesday June 03, 2015
Another fantastic opportunity had for our Beauty Students. The full time Diploma Beauty Students had the opportunity to visit the Dermalogica Training and Education Centre in Brisbane, and what a great opportunity this was. Dermalogica’s focus on Education is high as shown below in this extract from their website. However this is a rare opportunity […]
- Gold Coast Careers never looked so good!!Friday May 08, 2015
We were there!!! Yes Australian Institute of Creative Design made itself known at the Gold Coast Careers Expo at RACV Royal Pines Resort yesterday. The day was a great success with plenty of people wanting to find out how to become a student, and with more than 10,000 people attending the event, it was definitely […]
- A successful theft of laundry!Friday December 05, 2014
We would love to congratulate all our Graduating Diploma of Styling Students for creating an amazing parade last night in Brisbane. The event was a huge success and showcased the talents of 29 Diploma of Styling students with each student presenting in their own style a particular trend of the season. Great work!!! Check out the […]
- Take a ride on some ART!Wednesday October 08, 2014
Our Photography Students get to take all sorts of photos of products for their portfolios as well as for industry clients, however, just as the photo is the creative expression of the photographer, this time they were taking photos of something that was in itself its own form of creative expression… A wooden bicycle! Silkwood Cycles […]
- Alice takes flight.Monday September 29, 2014
Past Student of AICD Alice finished her Diploma of Applied Fashion Design and Technology in 2009. Since leaving AICD Alice Vievers sprouted wings and is now running her handmade fashion label called Alice Nightingale. Her collections are beautiful and inspired by the silver screen and cater to all occasions. Keep an eye out for her new summer collection “Sweet to Me” […]
- The Beginnings of BegittaFriday September 26, 2014
Past Students of AICD Australian Institute of Creative Design is always proud of their past students, and we always love to hear what they are doing, and how far they have come. Begitta recently launched her new Boutique at the prestigious Marina Mirage and with her visually stunning collections the sky is the limit Adding […]
- Photography ExhibitionThursday November 14, 2013
AICD’s Diploma of Photo Imaging students are holding an exhibition of their work at the Kallalu Gallery in Tweed Heads on the weekend of the 23rd and 24th of November. The exhibition will feature a diverse range of work from fashion, sports, landscapes, portraits and much more. The opening night event on the evening of […]
- Calico Bride WinnersMonday October 14, 2013
The noise of onlookers echoed as large garment bags were unzipped while we eagerly awaited the annual student design competition ‘Calico Brides’. We are very proud to announce that the tertiary section winner, runner up and highly commended prizes were all awarded to AICD students! The student winner for the best calico creation was awarded to […]
- Raw TalentMonday September 16, 2013
The latest RAW Artists showcase in Brisbane – ‘Translations‘ is featuring some talented up and coming designers and artists including two AICD fashion graduates to watch out for – Cynthia Coetzer and Rosa Carrington-Hogg (Infidel.the Label). RAW is a showcase of approximately 40 hand-selected artists in film, fashion, music, visual art, photography, performing arts, hair […]